Venison Recipes - Venison Stroganoff
By: Jeremiah Doughty - From Field to Plate
1-2 pounds venison roast, sliced thin
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cracked pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
4 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter
1.5 cups venison broth *sub beef broth is needed
1 teaspoon dried mustard
6 cloves garlic, minced
8oz sliced mushrooms
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup red wine
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
2 springs rosemary
Salt to taste
1. Slice Venison steaks thin, about 1/4 inch thick
2. In cast iron or dutch oven add butter bring to medium heat.
3. While butter Is heating season venison with cracked pepper and smoked paprika
4. Dredge each piece of meat in flour and add to butter, brown on each side, remove from skillet.
5. In skillet add onions and cook 3 minutes, until soft. Add garlic, cook additional 2 minutes.
6. Add meat back to skillet along with Worcestershire, red wine and rosemary, cook until wine has reduced and no longer smells like alcohol.
7. Add broth, mustard and remaining pepper, salt and paprika. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cover until meat is tender.
8. 5 minutes before serving fold in sour cream and mushrooms. Turn off heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes.
9. Plate over fresh pasta or mash and enjoy.