Venison Recipes - Spicy Venison Fajita Burger
By: Josh Dahlke
Backyard burgers have a tendency to get boring. There’s nothing wrong with good ol’-fashioned cheeseburgers cooked over a bed of Kingsford charcoal on a black Weber grill, but you shouldn’t Groundhog Day every Saturday grill session like Bill Murray. Crack a cold cerveza and get a little loco over your fire with this Mexican fajita-inspired venison burger recipe. Your guests will be shouting ARRIBA!
- 2 pounds spicy venison sausage (use this recipe) /our-obsession/blogs/recipes/small-batch-venison-sausage
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 cups shredded chipotle cheddar cheese
- 2 sliced bell peppers
- 1 medium sliced red onion
- 1 sliced avocado
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Juice from 1 small lime
- 1/2 cup crushed pistachios
- Form spicy venison sausage into 1/4-pound burger patties.
- Pre-heat grill or wood pellet grill to 350 degrees. The Camp Chef SmokePro SG pellet grill https://www.campchef.com/pg24sg.html has a sweet new direct-flame mode. If you’re using a charcoal grill, add some wood chips while cooking for extra smoky flavor.
- While the grill is reaching temp, sauté sliced bell peppers and red onion in a well-oiled skillet.
- Grill burgers, turning only once when they start to sweat. Top burgers with sautéed bell peppers and onion, then smother with chipotle cheddar cheese.
- While burgers are finishing, grill hamburger buns until golden brown.
- Combine minced garlic, sour cream, cilantro, salt, smoked paprika and lime juice in small bowl. Mix well.
- Remove burgers from grill, place on hamburger bun bottoms.
- Add sliced avocados, sour cream spread and crushed pistachios to hamburger bun tops.
- Smash the burgers together and eat. Serve with a side of seasoned tortilla chips. De nada (you’re welcome).