Venison Recipes - Spicy Asian Glazed Venison Meatballs
By: Jeremiah Doughty | From Field To Plate
My wife saw a picture of meatballs and quickly turned to me and said. “Make some meatballs, I want those.” So I got to work on creating a different kind of meatball. Not your typical pasta sauce covered meatball or Ikea Swedish style meatball. Here is the recipe I came up with. Now remember I use all wild game meat in my recipes. You can substitute any of your favorite meats for any of my recipes with no change to the recipe at all. With that being said, grab your chopsticks and enjoy this Spicy Asian Glazed Meatball recipe with a hint of Sriracha.
1-2 pounds ground venison
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon basil, minced
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
¼ teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
¼ cup red onion, chopped fine
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In large glass bowl add all ingredients and mix together. I love getting the kids involved in this step and allowing them to get their hands in there, mixing the meat. Once meat is fully mixed roll into 1 inch meatballs.
- Place meatballs on a lightly greased baking sheet or dish
- Put meatballs in oven for 18-20 minutes
- While meatballs are cooking work on the homemade spicy teriyaki sauce
Ingredients: Spicy Teriyaki Sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/3 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons garlic, crushed
5 tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup cold water
2 tablespoons Siriacha (if you want it spicier add more, less spicy add less)
- In medium sauce pan bring all ingredients to a boil minus the cornstarch and the ¼ cup cold water.
- Reduce heat to low-med
- Mix in small bowl the ¼ cup cold water and cornstarch until dissolved
- Add cornstarch mixture to sauce pan and heat until you reach your desired thickness
- Remove meatballs from oven and coat each one in the teriyaki mixture.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and green onions
- Wish you had more meatballs to eat once they are all gone.