Quail and Pheasant Recipes - Pan Fried Quail Over Mashed Sweet Potatoes
By: Stacy Lyn Harris
This is one of the tastiest, easy meals you will ever create. It only takes minutes to caramelize the spicy, sweet quail and have it over salad greens, sweet potatoes or grits and satisfy your most ravenous cravings.
If you do not have access to hunt wild quail, there are many high-end supermarkets that carry them in the freezer section. Quail are incredibly flavorful and are worthy to become one of our staple foods. They are small and therefore cook quickly, and therefore cook quickly making meals with quail great for entertaining or just an easy meal for your family.
I am hoping that quail will begin to re-populate the United States more. Many hunters are inadvertently enhancing quail habitat by managing their land for deer and turkey. We have personally seen an increase of quail on our managed farm in the past 5 years and are continuing to create better habitat for the quail.
Pan Fried Quail Indredients (serves 4):
8 Quail, deboned
1/4 cup olive oil for browning
2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tbsp honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix all ingredients. Place quail in marinade for about 5 minutes.
2. Drizzle olive oil into a super hot skillet. When olive oil is simmering, place quail in skillet for 3 minutes.
3. Turn over and cook the other side for about 2 minutes. Remove the quail from the skillet and serve with mashed sweet potatoes.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes Ingredients:
3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 tbsp (1/2 stick) butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place potatoes in large pot and add water to just cover them. Set heat to high and boil potatoes until tender and then drain.
2. Place potatoes back into the pot and fold in butter and sugar until dissolved. Blend in spices with a hand mixer until well incorparated and potatoes are smooth. Serve hot with extra butter!